Welcome to Life in 361˚. This blog is an 'open journal' - a space where I keep notes on bits & pieces I come across day-to-day - including books and articles I've read that I feel are worth sharing, interesting pictures and photos (I'm a visual learner, you see), random musings - and anything else that happens to catch my eye or ear. It also acts as a kind of 'open experiment' in terms of developing my views and writing skills - and networking with other people of a like-mind.

If you've stumbled upon here randomly, then I suggest you check out my biography and other pages.

Please Note: This site, and the social networking profile pages connected with it, reflect my personal interests & views which do not necessarily represent those of organisations I am affiliated / associated with.

20/07/2015

Casual Immanence

Having just arrived back from a weekend with an old friend in Southend, the summer holidays have officially started for me now. 


I have 6 weeks, or roughly 42 days, to do as I please. It is a strange feeling to have this length of time ahead - slightly daunting even given that my days are usually jam packed.

We have a trip with family to Cornwall planned and maybe a trip later on to see family who live in Zurich. My love affair with the garden continues and will no doubt continue over these coming weeks...


I recently packed away my theology books, deciding my habit of collecting theology books and not reading them needed to end definitively - I cannot say I have missed them. I continue to enjoy poetry, however, and the most recent verse to speak to me comes from Evelyn Underhill's 'Immanence':

I come in the little things, 
Saith the Lord: 
Not borne on morning wings Of majesty, 
but I have set My Feet 
Amidst the delicate and bladed wheat 
That springs triumphant in the furrowed sod. 
There do I dwell in weakness and in power; 
Not broken or divided, saith our God! 
In your strait garden plot I come to flower: 
About your porch my vine 
Meek, fruitful, doth entwine; 
Waits, at the threshold, 
Love’s appointed hour.

I come in the little things, 
Saith the Lord: 
Yes! on the glancing wings 
Of eager birds, the softly pattering feet 
Of furred and gentle beasts, 
I come to meet 
Your hard and wayward heart.

 ‘Immanence’ by Evelyn Underhill

No comments: