Welcome to Life in 361˚. This blog is an 'open journal' - a space where I keep notes on bits & pieces I come across day-to-day - including books and articles I've read that I feel are worth sharing, interesting pictures and photos (I'm a visual learner, you see), random musings - and anything else that happens to catch my eye or ear. It also acts as a kind of 'open experiment' in terms of developing my views and writing skills - and networking with other people of a like-mind.

If you've stumbled upon here randomly, then I suggest you check out my biography and other pages.

Please Note: This site, and the social networking profile pages connected with it, reflect my personal interests & views which do not necessarily represent those of organisations I am affiliated / associated with.

25/03/2014

‘My Testimony’ - by Ferenc Balázs

Jim Corrigall, a Unitarian minister, recently shared on Facebook the following words of Ferenc Balázs - described as his personal credo - as a reflection on the theism versus atheism debates currently taking place between British Unitarians. I have read it several times and it puts beautifully into words much of what I think and feel:

"I believe that this world is not a chain of casual things. I believe that everything has its own purpose. I believe that the world’s nature – predestination, fate, decision, unchangeable will – is to form persons who, with great trust, can feel and know themselves to be integrated parts of the whole world, and act as such. I believe that the world’s purpose keeps working through many small purposes, through the fulfilment of human will, and that each generation and each individual has the task of forging one of the links in the chain.

 I believe in this task, in my separate small purpose. First of all, I want to clean and bring to perfection my own personality, this one dewdrop that mirrors the world. I do not repress any expression of my multi-faceted personality. I live for my body as much as I live for my soul, but I keep trying to harmonise each of my wishes, instincts, and convictions with the highest and most valuable of the characteristics I have developed to this point. And I aim to build the connections of love with others among my brothers and sisters in our community. I have a strong wish to keep peace among us and to build an association for achieving our mutual interests with those with whom I am in close, loving connection.

I believe that if I can fulfil my small purpose in this short life of mine, I will achieve something valuable in itself, and not even death can diminish its meaning.

I believe in human dignity – and when it identifies itself with the world purpose, I believe in the freedom of will.

I believe that the will of my true self is the will that achieves expression in the world purpose, and if I follow the world purpose, I only follow my own will.

And I believe in God: this world is beautiful, great, and wonderful with a happy fate. It is amazing and mysterious, and when I am filled with it, overwhelmed with its infinity, its intimacy raises me, its joy makes me rejoice – then what springs forth from me is: God.

Do not ask what this word really means for me.

It means what swearing means for those in pain, what oh means for those in surprise, what laughter means for the happy. It expresses everything because it says nothing. I do not argue, I do not state, I do not prove. I am not consistent, I give no reasons. I only sigh and cry and rejoice, and I am ecstatic: God.

Religion gives purpose to my life, science helps me reach it, art gives me the opportunity to take pleasure in it. And it is in this life of mine – becoming perfect through all these – where I expect God to reveal Himself.”

No comments: