Welcome to Life in 361˚. This blog is an 'open journal' - a space where I keep notes on bits & pieces I come across day-to-day - including books and articles I've read that I feel are worth sharing, interesting pictures and photos (I'm a visual learner, you see), random musings - and anything else that happens to catch my eye or ear. It also acts as a kind of 'open experiment' in terms of developing my views and writing skills - and networking with other people of a like-mind.

If you've stumbled upon here randomly, then I suggest you check out my biography and other pages.

Please Note: This site, and the social networking profile pages connected with it, reflect my personal interests & views which do not necessarily represent those of organisations I am affiliated / associated with.

01/07/2013

Rest in peace brother François


The mainstream media seem to be overlooking the martyrdom of François Murad, a Catholic priest working in Syria. His life is one of thousands lost in this horrific civil war. But it is in some ways more deeply disturbing, bringing to full light the increasingly sectarian nature of the conflict

It also raised a huge point of concern, and protest, in that the beheading shooting of brother François was at the hands of Syrian rebel militia, to whom the UK government would like to send arms. Of course, William Hague insists we are only sending guns and bombs - and maybe even knives - to 'good' rebels. I don't see how they can really control their use given the amount of cross-pollination that is probably occurring between the various groups opposed to the Assad regime.

This persecution of religious minorities is part of a growing trend across the Middle East from Iran to Iraq to Syria to Israel-Palestine to Egypt. Who will speak for them?

No comments: