Welcome to Life in 361˚. This blog is an 'open journal' - a space where I keep notes on bits & pieces I come across day-to-day - including books and articles I've read that I feel are worth sharing, interesting pictures and photos (I'm a visual learner, you see), random musings - and anything else that happens to catch my eye or ear. It also acts as a kind of 'open experiment' in terms of developing my views and writing skills - and networking with other people of a like-mind.

If you've stumbled upon here randomly, then I suggest you check out my biography and other pages.

Please Note: This site, and the social networking profile pages connected with it, reflect my personal interests & views which do not necessarily represent those of organisations I am affiliated / associated with.

03/04/2013

Universal and Particular

I have found another interesting reflection on Easter, again one I have to admit to finding interesting in its affirmation of my own perspective rather than challenging of it. This one is from Ant Howe's Unitarian blog.

If I lived near to the churches he ministers at in Warwickshire, or to the church Andrew Brown ministers at in Cambridge, I would probably still be a Unitarian - although probably still also primarily self-identifying as a 'Free Christian'.

I have also recently been observing with interest a debate, 'Buddhist and Quaker', on the QuakerQuaker website.

And at the side of my bed currently I have 'The Tao of Nature' by Chuang Tzu which I have been dipping in and out of, amongst other Taoist writings, in recent weeks.

The reason I mention these things is to simply reiterate a position I have had for a long time - you can be universalist-minded, in the sense you recognize there are undercurrents of Spirit and Truth amongst the vast array of theologies, philosophies and sciences of the world, without giving up the  particular tradition that speaks most deeply to your own heart.

And you can be critically-minded towards the tradition that speaks most deeply to your own heart, you can dissent from aspects - even those other regard as vital, without rejecting it or becoming hostile towards it. 

It is a position I have lived for over a decade now. Some may call it lily-liveredness but I call it maturity (but then again I would, wouldn't I?).

No comments: