Welcome to Life in 361˚. This blog is an 'open journal' - a space where I keep notes on bits & pieces I come across day-to-day - including books and articles I've read that I feel are worth sharing, interesting pictures and photos (I'm a visual learner, you see), random musings - and anything else that happens to catch my eye or ear. It also acts as a kind of 'open experiment' in terms of developing my views and writing skills - and networking with other people of a like-mind.

If you've stumbled upon here randomly, then I suggest you check out my biography and other pages.

Please Note: This site, and the social networking profile pages connected with it, reflect my personal interests & views which do not necessarily represent those of organisations I am affiliated / associated with.

12/03/2013

A little bit of Tao

I haven't had or made time for this blog over the last few weeks. Other matters have taken over, mainly related to work - or put more accurately, I have allowed such things to take over. 

Anyway, over the weekend I was clearing out our spare room where all my books are stored. Towards the end, with the clutter removed out of the way, I felt an urge to pick up my Stephen Mitchell translation of the Tao Te Ching. It is a book I have owned and felt a need to treasure for many years (it has avoided many book clearing out sessions!), and it is beautifully illustrated inside, but I have to confess to not really connecting with it. Or at least that was the case until this weekend, with so much  angst weighing on me, that I picked it up and read it a bit at a time - akin to someone savouring a box of luxurious chocolates over a number of days or weeks. In turn the words of this ancient Chinese wisdom have stayed with me providing a sense of assurance and calm, like a soothing song.

Although I do recommend purchasing the same illustrated copy I have, the text is readily available online.

Here is the bit I am currently contemplating:

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. 
Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt. 
Chase after money and security 
and your heart will never unclench. 
Care about people's approval 
and you will be their prisoner. 

 Do your work, then step back. 
The only path to serenity.

No comments: