Welcome to Life in 361˚. This blog is an 'open journal' - a space where I keep notes on bits & pieces I come across day-to-day - including books and articles I've read that I feel are worth sharing, interesting pictures and photos (I'm a visual learner, you see), random musings - and anything else that happens to catch my eye or ear. It also acts as a kind of 'open experiment' in terms of developing my views and writing skills - and networking with other people of a like-mind.

If you've stumbled upon here randomly, then I suggest you check out my biography and other pages.

Please Note: This site, and the social networking profile pages connected with it, reflect my personal interests & views which do not necessarily represent those of organisations I am affiliated / associated with.

16/02/2013

Inner Voice, Outer Voice

I received a delivery this week of 'A book of Quaker Poems 1652 - 1900', selected by Simon Webb. The book is a short one - although with some lengthy (dare I say, long-winded) poems inside! I've found a few standout gems in there though, with the following speaking to me this weekend:

The Inward Voice

Within the breast of a man a light divine,
Through the clouds of doubt and fear, doth ever shine,
It warns from every false and dangerous road,
And points the way to truth and heaven and God.

In all our doubts and sad perplexities,
The truth itself its own best witness is;
It needs no miracle or outward sign
To make its sacred less more divine.

Lightnings may flash from angry clouds on high,
And thunder dread may rend the vaulted sky;
Mountains may shake, and oceans surge and roar;
The truth is still but truth - nor less nor more.

At Sinai's graven stones with awe we look,
With earnest reverence search the Holy Book;
But older far than book or graver's art
Is God's own record in the mind and heart.

This record, clear to their anointed eyes,
Made all the ancient prophets truly wise;
The light they saw, the heavenly voice they heard,
And spake, in God's own name, his Holy word.

Our spirit unto theirs doth witness bear:
Their message stirs our hearts to faith and prayer;
Their quickened word is bread indeed,
On which our hungry souls, delighted feed.

- Oliver Johnson

No comments: