Welcome to Life in 361˚. This blog is an 'open journal' - a space where I keep notes on bits & pieces I come across day-to-day - including books and articles I've read that I feel are worth sharing, interesting pictures and photos (I'm a visual learner, you see), random musings - and anything else that happens to catch my eye or ear. It also acts as a kind of 'open experiment' in terms of developing my views and writing skills - and networking with other people of a like-mind.

If you've stumbled upon here randomly, then I suggest you check out my biography and other pages.

Please Note: This site, and the social networking profile pages connected with it, reflect my personal interests & views which do not necessarily represent those of organisations I am affiliated / associated with.

11/12/2012

Norcliffe Chapel on Facebook

 Spot the chapel!

It's pleasing to see Norcliffe Chapel, the Unitarian & Free Christian congregation we were married by this summer, have now ventured on to Facebook. The church is situated approximately 50 yards off the main road in Styal, an old mill village.

I've put a few photos on the page to show off the fantastic interior of the building (and my wife!). We have some treasured memories of the day, with the service shaped greatly through conversations with the minister Alex Bradley - and we continue to look forward to visiting for worship from time to time. 


The church has existed there since 1823 and has a plaque next to the main entrance stating it is for, "The worship of God; and the furtherance of Christian life; free from the fetters of any written and unwritten; declaration of doctrine".  We have this as part of a Neil Rowland created collage of photos on our dining room wall. The modern-day ethos of the chapel, in our experience, is generally liberal, open-minded Christianity with space provided for reflection on both theological themes, the human experience and social justice issues.

Although it always seems to have a long queue of couples wanting to get married there (partly because of its proximity to nearby reception venues, partly because of its beauty), it's location means that it remains in many ways a hidden gem.

No comments: