Welcome to Life in 361˚. This blog is an 'open journal' - a space where I keep notes on bits & pieces I come across day-to-day - including books and articles I've read that I feel are worth sharing, interesting pictures and photos (I'm a visual learner, you see), random musings - and anything else that happens to catch my eye or ear. It also acts as a kind of 'open experiment' in terms of developing my views and writing skills - and networking with other people of a like-mind.

If you've stumbled upon here randomly, then I suggest you check out my biography and other pages.

Please Note: This site, and the social networking profile pages connected with it, reflect my personal interests & views which do not necessarily represent those of organisations I am affiliated / associated with.

31/07/2012

Keyboard Warriors

If anyone has been following UK-based coverage of the Olympics, you will be aware of the furore in the media today over the verbal abuse sent via Twitter to Tom Daley. The abuser, '@rileyy_69', has since been arrested and held by police for questioning and placed firmly within the media spotlight. 

I understand the police action to an extent because he did at one point threaten violence. But the rest of it, as the Archbishop Cranmer blog highlights, is little more than the vile rantings of a seemingly troubled teenager - egged on by thousands of Twitter users who decided to leap to Tom Daley's defence, many of whom doing so by verbally abusing '@rileyy_69' in return.

Once again there is a big question here about the right to speak freely (and stupidly), whether the internet should be censored - at least to under 18s or under 16s, and where the red line is in terms of legally / illegally offending someone.

No comments: