Welcome to Life in 361˚. This blog is an 'open journal' - a space where I keep notes on bits & pieces I come across day-to-day - including books and articles I've read that I feel are worth sharing, interesting pictures and photos (I'm a visual learner, you see), random musings - and anything else that happens to catch my eye or ear. It also acts as a kind of 'open experiment' in terms of developing my views and writing skills - and networking with other people of a like-mind.

If you've stumbled upon here randomly, then I suggest you check out my biography and other pages.

Please Note: This site, and the social networking profile pages connected with it, reflect my personal interests & views which do not necessarily represent those of organisations I am affiliated / associated with.

13/07/2012

Holylandism

I've been reading this week on the decision of the Anglican Church to join with the Quakers, amongst others, in supporting the Ecumenical Accompaniment Program in Palestine and Israel (EAPPI) -  a campaign group that appears to primarily support sanctions and protests against Israel, and is in turn, accused by Israel of being unwaveringly pro-Palestinian. 

I follow the Israel-Palestine conflict with concern but I struggle to take sides, to empathise with one at the expense of the other. The situation feels too steeped in the blood of a complex history, too caught up in a tangled web of modern-day geopolitics, sectarianism and strife, for a simple 'good guys vs. bad guys' narrative. I also readily admit to simply not knowing enough, of having no experience first-hand of the situation - all I have is the British media, which is regularly and rigorously critiqued in the blogoshere for its bias on the issue, from various political stances.

And I suppose that's my point, the support of EAPPI all feels a little too political, and fashionable politics at that.

I am concerned about the plight of Muslim people and Jewish people living in the Holy Land, and although often ignored, Christian people and Druze people also. But all I can do is pray for peace and support charities working there. The rest - the decisions about systems of governance and land ownership etc. - has to come from the peoples living there.

No comments: