Welcome to Life in 361˚. This blog is an 'open journal' - a space where I keep notes on bits & pieces I come across day-to-day - including books and articles I've read that I feel are worth sharing, interesting pictures and photos (I'm a visual learner, you see), random musings - and anything else that happens to catch my eye or ear. It also acts as a kind of 'open experiment' in terms of developing my views and writing skills - and networking with other people of a like-mind.

If you've stumbled upon here randomly, then I suggest you check out my biography and other pages.

Please Note: This site, and the social networking profile pages connected with it, reflect my personal interests & views which do not necessarily represent those of organisations I am affiliated / associated with.

25/04/2012

No Easter, No Christianity?

Although 'favourite' is often used as quite a trivial word (the phrase "my favourite Quality Street chocolate is..." immediately springs to mind), I can't find another word - so I'll say it, Marcus Borg is my favourite Christian writer. Aside perhaps from the collective efforts of Quaker Faith & Practice (the British version) that is. 

What I like about Marcus Borg is he's a liberal / progressive theologian that hasn't "thrown the baby out with the bath water" - he manages that balancing act between re-interpreting the Christian story whilst not deconstructing it to a point there's nothing left (something I think John Shelby Spong is prone to). He is both pragmatic and mystical in his interpretations, which in many ways sums up the continuing appeal of the Christian faith.

So a few weeks ago I went looking for new writings by Marcus Borg on the 'Easter moment' - I didn't find anything but today stumbled upon this article, simply titled "Reflection on Easter". It's an article that in classic Marcus Borg style, affirms my initial understanding yet takes me much much further.

I find especially challenging the argument he makes that without Easter, Christianity loses its meaning. Perhaps before this Easter this was me, I had effectively ditched Easter and in doing so, found myself feeling somehow disconnected from Christianity. This Easter has in some ways been a painful experience (relatively speaking!) but through recognising this, I am finding myself discovering new insights and seeing the cause of Christianity from a new perspective. Although shaky, I now 'get it', we do have to arrive at a state of being (a state of openness and realisation, rather than self-delusion might I add) where we walk side-by-side with Jesus, grasping him as a present reality in our lives rather than studying him as we would with other long-dead purveyor of maxims..

No comments: