Welcome to Life in 361˚. This blog is an 'open journal' - a space where I keep notes on bits & pieces I come across day-to-day - including books and articles I've read that I feel are worth sharing, interesting pictures and photos (I'm a visual learner, you see), random musings - and anything else that happens to catch my eye or ear. It also acts as a kind of 'open experiment' in terms of developing my views and writing skills - and networking with other people of a like-mind.

If you've stumbled upon here randomly, then I suggest you check out my biography and other pages.

Please Note: This site, and the social networking profile pages connected with it, reflect my personal interests & views which do not necessarily represent those of organisations I am affiliated / associated with.

07/02/2012

Un-Unitarian?

I've just come across this post, "YOU ARE NOT A QUAKER (so please stop calling yourself one", which is causing a stir amongst Quaker bloggers. It made me wonder, would Unitarians ever declare someone not a Unitarian? (Other than a Trinitarian Christian perhaps...)

And is this a strength or a weakness?

1 comment:

forrest said...

"Lack of dogmatism in matters of faith and of the Spirit is one of our great strengths as a community. It is probably the first quality which attracted many of us who joined the Society as convinced Friends. This character trait of modern Quakerism has its roots in the experience of early Friends, who found that real spirituality came from the inward guide, not from any outward authority, even scripture. Driven by the force of their inward experience, these Friends sought to make the same personal encounter with God available to everyone. If their experience lacked dogmatism, it did not lack certainty.

"This is a distinction modern Friends can fail to make. Rejecting dogmatism which relies on outward authorities to prove its authenticity or to exercise power, we have also lost the confidence to testify to our spiritual experience and share it gladly."

[Ursula Jane O'Shea, in Living the Way: Quaker Spirituality and Community 1993]