Welcome to Life in 361˚. This blog is an 'open journal' - a space where I keep notes on bits & pieces I come across day-to-day - including books and articles I've read that I feel are worth sharing, interesting pictures and photos (I'm a visual learner, you see), random musings - and anything else that happens to catch my eye or ear. It also acts as a kind of 'open experiment' in terms of developing my views and writing skills - and networking with other people of a like-mind.

If you've stumbled upon here randomly, then I suggest you check out my biography and other pages.

Please Note: This site, and the social networking profile pages connected with it, reflect my personal interests & views which do not necessarily represent those of organisations I am affiliated / associated with.

18/02/2012

CD armageddon

Today I logged onto Amazon to purchase Sigh No More by Mumford & Sons and What did you expect? by The Vaccines, in CD format. I estimate I own around 300 CDs - built up over years and years. The truth is I listen to very few of them but instead keep them as evidence of how my music tastes have changed, milestones on the journey. They're one of the few things I hoard - other things, such as clothes and books, I am happy to charity shop when I no longer use them. 

I've got an I-Pod, and a Kindle for that matter, but haven't been able to fully make the switch. I have been unable to break the need to have something material in my hands.

But what made me cancel my purchase today was the simple thought that I was damaging the environment by continuing this habit. It's not just the carbon footprint of CDs compared to MP3s - to which there has been some debate as to how greener downloads really are - it's the plastic. 

I watched Terminator Salvation last night, not the most conceptually-provocative sci-fi story but some light relief after a hard week intellectually, and I wonder whether the future will really be one blighted by nuclear war, or metallic monsters even - or will it be one damned by simple plastic? Certainly, the impact of carrier bags on the ocean suggest we maybe storing up a disasterous legacy for our sons & daughters.


So today I'm making a public pledge,  'giving testimony' as the Quakers say, to end my plastic addiction (and to try with paper books also).

No comments: