Welcome to Life in 361˚. This blog is an 'open journal' - a space where I keep notes on bits & pieces I come across day-to-day - including books and articles I've read that I feel are worth sharing, interesting pictures and photos (I'm a visual learner, you see), random musings - and anything else that happens to catch my eye or ear. It also acts as a kind of 'open experiment' in terms of developing my views and writing skills - and networking with other people of a like-mind.

If you've stumbled upon here randomly, then I suggest you check out my biography and other pages.

Please Note: This site, and the social networking profile pages connected with it, reflect my personal interests & views which do not necessarily represent those of organisations I am affiliated / associated with.

21/01/2012

Save the Quakers

Tomorrow is a momentous day for the Quakers - not the religious group, but the football team from Darlington who go under this nickname. It is momentous because they still exist. 

Theirs is a story of how English football, a national passion, has gone so wrong. Bought in 1999 by former safe-cracker turned millionaire, George Reynolds, Darlington FC - a small community club - were then uprooted in 2003 to play in a 25,000 capcity stadium (initially named the Reynolds Arena) outside of the town. Isn't this just another example of the gamble-everything-chasing-imagined-riches capitalism that we've seen time and time again this past fifteen years? And what would the influential Quaker ancestors of the town, in all their modesty, have made of it all?

Darlington FC have since been lumbered with this white elephant and successive financial crises - and now this 128 year old club faces oblivion. Tomorrow I will be going to Hillsborough to watch Sheffield Wednesday FC and there is a collection for poor old Darlo - and there are some details here for anyone else wishing to get involved in trying to fuel a fan buyout and rescue package.

No comments: