Welcome to Life in 361˚. This blog is an 'open journal' - a space where I keep notes on bits & pieces I come across day-to-day - including books and articles I've read that I feel are worth sharing, interesting pictures and photos (I'm a visual learner, you see), random musings - and anything else that happens to catch my eye or ear. It also acts as a kind of 'open experiment' in terms of developing my views and writing skills - and networking with other people of a like-mind.

If you've stumbled upon here randomly, then I suggest you check out my biography and other pages.

Please Note: This site, and the social networking profile pages connected with it, reflect my personal interests & views which do not necessarily represent those of organisations I am affiliated / associated with.

06/07/2011

"Victoria Becktum"

That was The Sun's headline this morning.

Meanwhile, it is now thought that News of the World reporters (close colleagues of Sun reporters, and all servants of the Murdoch Empire) hacked the phones of the families of Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman following their murder in Soham and the phones of victims' families who were murdered in the 7/7 London terrorist attacks.

It is also interesting to note other tabloid headlines:
  • Daily Mail - "PUBLIC SECTOR SALARY MYTH"
  • Daily Star - "KATE FURY OVER FAKE ANOREXIA PIC"
  • Daily Express - "NOW SALT IS SAFE TO EAT"
Only the Daily Mirror, a long-standing rival to The Sun, runs with the hacking scandal as its lead story. And I suspect that is more down to political and commercial expediency than a quest for more ethical journalism.

We have had a financial crisis caused by cavalier business elites, we have had a political crisis caused by greedy political elites and now the media elites prove themselves to be, by and large, mired in deceit and corruption.

And all we tend to do is sit waiting for someone brave enough and powerful enough to come along and really turn things upside down -.I guess we're looking a bit like the ancient peoples of Israel crying out in the wildnerness for a prophet...

No comments: