Welcome to Life in 361˚. This blog is an 'open journal' - a space where I keep notes on bits & pieces I come across day-to-day - including books and articles I've read that I feel are worth sharing, interesting pictures and photos (I'm a visual learner, you see), random musings - and anything else that happens to catch my eye or ear. It also acts as a kind of 'open experiment' in terms of developing my views and writing skills - and networking with other people of a like-mind.

If you've stumbled upon here randomly, then I suggest you check out my biography and other pages.

Please Note: This site, and the social networking profile pages connected with it, reflect my personal interests & views which do not necessarily represent those of organisations I am affiliated / associated with.

12/06/2011

Free Christian Wiki

I spent an hour this morning trying to clean up the Free Christian wikipedia article which was messy to say the least - I just wish there were more Free Christian churches to talk about.

2 comments:

Paul said...

Hi Matt,
As you know or probably don't know at the core of Quakerism is a belief that God speaks to all people directly.
In Quaker silent worship we listen
to still small voice to guide us.
This belief is not unique to just Quakers. But also found in the writings of the early christian mystics. And mystics in all of the World religions.

My question to you is, what are your thoughts on the relationship between continuing revelation and free Christianity?Jesus is in particular?

Paul

Matt said...

Hello Paul,
Thank you for passing by…
I agree wholeheartedly with the idea of continuing revelation. In my own readings of the New Testament I am often left to wonder whether this was the crux of the Jesus story – the story of a prophet who essentially ‘de-propheted’ religion, revealing to the people of his time that the religious hierarchy had no monopoly on truth, and had no special place as intermediaries; a message of equality and simplicity that we find at the heart of the Quaker tradition.

In terms of Free Christianity, I think this would be something well-received. Although most Free Christian churches (the very few that exist) still follow a model of ministers, there is a tendency now within the wider Unitarian movement to rely on lay leaders to coordinate worship & business – in much the same way as the Quakers have elders to do this.

Hope that helps?

Matt