Welcome to Life in 361˚. This blog is an 'open journal' - a space where I keep notes on bits & pieces I come across day-to-day - including books and articles I've read that I feel are worth sharing, interesting pictures and photos (I'm a visual learner, you see), random musings - and anything else that happens to catch my eye or ear. It also acts as a kind of 'open experiment' in terms of developing my views and writing skills - and networking with other people of a like-mind.

If you've stumbled upon here randomly, then I suggest you check out my biography and other pages.

Please Note: This site, and the social networking profile pages connected with it, reflect my personal interests & views which do not necessarily represent those of organisations I am affiliated / associated with.

09/05/2011

Winston, NHS Guard Dog

OF THE NHS...

The Conservatives enjoy quoting Winston Churchill at people on all manner of political matters - sometimes with a bit of selective editing, as in the case of the Alternative Vote Referendum.

So in today's debate over NHS reform, which saw Mr Clegg finally find a voice in keeping with his party and the general public on the issue, perhaps we also need a bit more of Churchill for Cameron, Osborne and Lansley et al to mull over:
"The discoveries of healing science must be the inheritance of all. That is clear. Disease must be attacked, whether it occurs in the poorest or the richest man or woman simply on the ground that it is the enemy; and it must be attacked just in the same way as the fire brigade will give its full assistance to the humblest cottage as readily as to the most important mansion. Our policy is to create a national health service in order to ensure that everybody in the country, irrespective of means, age, sex, or occupation, shall have equal opportunities to benefit from the best and most up-to-date medical and allied services available."
(source)

2 comments:

Bill Baar said...

Yes, but does the NHS do that today? The Government really not adept at change.

Matt said...

It perhaps does not offer the very very latest technology and medicines, but it does offer healthcare for all.