Welcome to Life in 361˚. This blog is an 'open journal' - a space where I keep notes on bits & pieces I come across day-to-day - including books and articles I've read that I feel are worth sharing, interesting pictures and photos (I'm a visual learner, you see), random musings - and anything else that happens to catch my eye or ear. It also acts as a kind of 'open experiment' in terms of developing my views and writing skills - and networking with other people of a like-mind.

If you've stumbled upon here randomly, then I suggest you check out my biography and other pages.

Please Note: This site, and the social networking profile pages connected with it, reflect my personal interests & views which do not necessarily represent those of organisations I am affiliated / associated with.

18/04/2011

Spring Cleaning

Jesus entered the temple courts and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves. “It is written,” he said to them, “‘My house will be called a house of worship,’ but you are making it ‘a den of robbers.’” Matthew 21:12 - 13

Here's a question - if Jesus was alive today in Britain, what 'houses of worship' would he condemn? What temples would he seek to cleanse?
  • Or the celebrity bars of West London? After all, celebrity culture seems to be the new form of religion for many British people and celebrities are more often the public opinion formers and trendsetters than the clergy.

2 comments:

Robin Edgar said...

"Here's a question - if Jesus was alive today in Britain, what 'houses of worship' would he condemn? What temples would he seek to cleanse?"

Well since you asked. . .

I can imagine Jesus saying the following about any number of Unitarian churches -

“It is written,” he said to U*Us, “‘My house will be called a house of worship,’ but you are making it ‘a den of atheists.’”

No?

Robin Edgar said...

I wonder what Jesus would have thought of the Canadian Unitarian church I visited one Sunday which had a kind of mini church bazaar going on on tables set up around the perimeter of the church sanctuary during the Sunday service?

I do not believe that any items were sold during the actual church service itself, but it seemed a bit strange that the various wares were being displayed for sale in the church sanctuary itself with items being sold before and after the actual service. Jesus might have been a tad annoyed that amongst the items being sold was a reproduction Egyptian papyrus showing Egyptian gods and goddesses. I recall being tempted to buy it myself but decided that it was overpriced.

I wonder why so few people ever consider the possibility, to say nothing of *probability*. . . that Jesus' physically violent cleansing of the Temple in Jerusalem led quite directly to his crucifixion? Anyone doing something similar today would find themselves in trouble with the law and possibly even face assault charges.

No?