Welcome to Life in 361˚. This blog is an 'open journal' - a space where I keep notes on bits & pieces I come across day-to-day - including books and articles I've read that I feel are worth sharing, interesting pictures and photos (I'm a visual learner, you see), random musings - and anything else that happens to catch my eye or ear. It also acts as a kind of 'open experiment' in terms of developing my views and writing skills - and networking with other people of a like-mind.

If you've stumbled upon here randomly, then I suggest you check out my biography and other pages.

Please Note: This site, and the social networking profile pages connected with it, reflect my personal interests & views which do not necessarily represent those of organisations I am affiliated / associated with.

21/04/2011

Age of the Footwashers

 After he had washed their feet, had put on his robe, and had returned to the table, he said to them, "Do you know what I have done to you? You call me your Teacher and Master —and you are right, for that is what I am. So if I, your Master and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I have set you an example, that you also should do as I have done to you. Very truly, I tell you, servants are not greater than their master, nor are messengers greater than the one who sent them."
My thoughts today are focused on simplicity, humility and service of others - actions rather than words. Jesus taught that to live like this is to live in a new covenant - a new connectedness. It was a radical message to deliver amongst the splendour and hierarchy of Jerusalem - it would have been a massive departure from the Judaism and Roman religion of that era - but it was the legacy he intended to leave his followers. And the washing of the feet is a powerful symbol of this.

Last year Rowan Williams, head of the Anglican Church, publicly washed the feet of his congregation - it was deeply moving to see him do this and drew people's attention to a different side of Christianity. In addition to other acts of service, perhaps more Christians need to engage in this public act throughout the year in their efforts to spread the core theme of the Good News?

No comments: